Passport Fund applications for summer 2014 sessions are now available. Please read the application instructions carefully. Need-based scholarship assistance, based on a sliding scale, is available for students who wish to attend Concordia Language Villages. Financial need is determined by the family's reported gross income (AGI) and number of dependents. Applications must be submitted by February 28, 2014. Please visit our FAQ page for more information.
Applicants must do all of the following. Your application will not be considered complete until all steps are complete.
(1) Register for a summer session and pay the deposit. If you are unable to afford the deposit, call our registration department at (800) 222-4750 ext. 3699. If you have a general scholarship question please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that scholarships cover 10%-90% of tuition costs and do not typically cover transportation costs.
(2) Complete an online application form which includes a personal statement that can be uploaded on page 4. Your personal statement should express why you wish to become proficient in a language. Include your thoughts on how knowing a language might make a difference in your life. The length requirement depends on the session length. One week = 250 words; Two weeks = 250 words; Four weeks = 350 words.
(3) Mail a copy of the front page of your most recent federal income tax return showing your adjusted gross income (AGI). If you are not required to file an income tax return, please supply us with a brief explanation and a statement of whatever source of income you had last year with any supporting documentation. Also indicate the number of dependent children in your household that year.
(4) Mail a brief recommendation from a teacher describing the student's commitment to learning and his or her interest in world languages and cultures.
Please submit your teacher recommendation and copy of tax return to:
Concordia Language Villages
901 8th Street South
Moorhead, MN 56562
- If you do not receive a scholarship and decide not to attend, your full deposit will be refunded if your cancellation is received by April 30.
- If a cancellation is received May 1-31 a 50% refund will be given of the total tuition minus the deposit.
- If a cancellation is received on or after June 1 no refunds will be given.
- Villagers sent home from the Village for disciplinary reasons or homesickness will not receive a refund.
If you have received a scholarship for the summer of 2014, please complete an online thank you here. You may also mail a thank you letter to:
Concordia Language Villages
Attn: Scholarship Coordinator
901 8th St S
Moorhead, MN 56562
All scholarships are made possible by donations from current and former villagers, parents, friends, cultural organizations, businesses, foundations and current and former staff members. We are grateful to all who support the scholarship fund.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Minnesota Families: The Summer Academic Enrichment program will provide stipends on a first-come, first-serve basis, to cover all or a portion of the direct cost for students in grades 3-11 to attend Concordia Language Villages. Minnesota residents who are eligible for free or reduced priced lunches may receive up to $1000 to assist in covering the cost of a summer youth program. The Minnesota Office of Higher Education will not announce available funding for the Summer Academic Enrichment Program until early spring. However, you are encouraged to complete the application process. Click here for more information.
Finnish: Salolampi Foundation Scholarships are available for all Salolampi villagers.
German: Please see the German Scholarship page.
Japanese: Need-based scholarships for Chicago-area children are available thanks to a generous gift from OMRON Inc. Please use the Passport Fund application to apply.
Norwegian: Applications for the Tove Irene Dahl Scholarship will be posted here soon. The Tripp Trapp Scholarship application is open to anyone moving up to a longer Norwegian Language Village session. The 1st District Skogfjorden Application and the Mikal Kartvedt Scholarship Application are available on the Sons of Norway District 1 website or through your local lodge. Applications and questions regarding the Sons of Norway District 1 scholarships should be directed to your local lodge.
Spanish: Scholarships are available through the National Spanish Exam for students in grades 8, 9, and 10. Students must have medal placement by scoring at or above the 75th-percentile on the 2013 National Spanish Examination (Level 01, 1, 2 or 3) and be registered to take the 2014 National Spanish Examination. For more information, please contact your Spanish teacher or click here.