Ukens oppskrift - Risengrynsgrøt
Published: November 24, 2017
Thanksgiving is past which means we can officially start preparing for jul (Christmas). Now is the perfect time of year* to whip up a batch of risengrynsgrøt to share with your family and your favorite nisse.
- 13.5 fl. oz water
- 5 fl. oz porridge rice (or risotto)
- 1 quart milk - give or take
- 1 tsp salt
- vanilla (optional) - to taste
- cinnamon sugar and butter for serving
- 1 peeled almond (see traditions)
- Using a good, heavy pot with tight lid, boil the rice in water for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the milk (and optional vanilla).
- Simmer with lid until porridge is thick and creamy (about 45-60 minutes) stirring frequently.
- Stir in the salt near the end.
- Serve in a deep plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and a dab of butter in the middle to create the smørøye (butter eye).
- Best when served with a nice glass of red juice (perhaps lingonberry).
- If you are lucky enough to have a nisse living nearby, make sure to leave a bowl out for them as a big "Thank You" on Christmas Eve.
- You can also leave out a bowl for julenissen (Santa) when he comes to visit.
- When serving your risengrynsgrøt, place a single peeled almond in the pot. Whoever the lucky one is who gets the almond wins a special prize!!
- Have leftovers? Make riskrem the next day!! Simply mix your leftovers with some whipped cream, sugar, and vanilla and serve topped with berry sauce.
*Some would argue that every time of year is the perfect time of year for risengrynsgrøt.