Ukens oppskrift - Bergensk fiskesuppe
Published: January 5, 2018
The perfect antidote for the cold-weather blues is a bowl of warm and delicious soup. From tomatsuppe and blomkålsuppe, we know that Norwegian are good at making soup! For a new soup that is sure to become a classic with any fish lovers out there, give this recipe for fiskesuppe a try.
For the Fish Stock
- ¼ cup chopped parsnips
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs with leaves
- 1 lbs. washed fish trimmings (Heads, bones, etc . . .washed)
- 4 quarts cold water
For the Soup
- ½ cups coarsely chopped carrots
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsnips
- 1 lb. halibut, cod or haddock, boneless and in one piece
- 1/2 cup leeks finely sliced, only the white parts
- 2 egg yolks
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Optional ingredients for garnish
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 6 tbsp sour cream
For the fish stock:
- To prepare the base for this soup, combine the ingredients for the Fish Stock in a 4 - 6 quart stock pot.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Strain the stock you have made through a sieve into a large bowl, press down on the vegetables and fish trimmings to extract any remaining juices before getting rid of them.
- Wash your stock pot and return the stock to it. Boil the stock rapidly, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until it is reduced to about 6 cups.
- Strain the reduced stock through the sieve once more.
For the soup:
- Pour your stock* into a 6 quart stock pot. Add the carrots, parsnips and fish. Heat to boiling and then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the leeks and simmer for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove your soup from heat and gently lift out the fish with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl with a wire whisk, add in about ½ cup of hot soup 1 tbsp at a time.
- Add the soup and egg yolk mix back into the soup, beating slowly and continuously with a whisk.
- Flake the fish that you have set aside with a fork and add it to the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not let the soup return to a boil.
- Serve garnished with the chopped parsely, 1 tbsp sour cream, and croutons.
*You could also use vegetable stock for this recipe if you aren't able to make the fish stock.