Foodie Fridays: Riisipuuro
Published: January 24, 2019
Today's Foodie Friday is Riisipuuri (Finnish Rice Pudding)! A Finnish staple, this dish is a perfect warm winter treat or a quick, easy breakfast!
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 tbsp unsalted butter
4-5 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp salt
To be added after rice is cooked:
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon (more to taste)
1 cup heavy cream (optional for thickening)
1. Cook the rice over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan filled with an equivalent amount of water, so that the water is just barely covering the rice.
2. Add butter and bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning, and until all the remaining water is absorbed.
3. Add 2 cups of milk and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until all of the milk is absorbed.
4. Add the rest of the milk to the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat and stirring often to prevent the rice and milk from burning.
5. Keep cooking until the rice thickens and achieves a creamy appearance. (At this point you can add the heavy cream to make the rice even thicker if you so choose)
6. Add Salt and remove from heat.
7. Add cinnamon, sugar, and other spices and desired toppings.
Optional Recommended Toppings: