Foodie Fridays: Omenapiirakka
Published: May 3, 2019
Happy May! Summer is right around the corner and we're day-dreaming of days at the cabin. While we're day-dreaming, let's make some Omenapiirakka!
2 ¼ cups plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
4 tart apples, pared, cored and sliced
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk
1) In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
2) Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3) Add the cream and mix to make a soft dough. Chill 30 minutes.
4) Preheat oven to 425F or 220C. Grease and dust a baking sheet lightly with flour.
5) Turn dough out onto the centre of the sheet and roll out.
6) Combine the apples, sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon.
7) Arrange the apples in rows over the crust, leaving about 1 ½ inches or 4 cm empty at the edges.
8) Turn edges up over the filling and seal the corners.
9) Beat egg with milk to make a glaze and brush edge.
10) Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden.