Foodie Fridays: Leipajuusto
Published: March 21, 2019
Welcome back to Foodie Fridays! This week's recipe is a snack-time favorite, Leipajuusto! )Also affectionately known as squeaky cheese or bread cheese.)
2.5 gallons raw milk or pasteurized milk
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tablet of Hanson's Rennet (you may have to do some searching around for this at a specialty store, although I've heard it is available at some drug stores)
1) In a double boiler, set between 85-90 degrees, heat up milk.
2) Crush the rennet tablet and dissolve it into 1 tablespoon of cool water. Once dissolved, set aside.
3) In a small bowl, mix the salt, cornstarch, and sugar. Then mix the dry ingredients with a small amount of the warmed milk.
4) Add this mixture to the rest of the milk.
5) Mix the dissolved rennet tablet with the milk as well.
6) Set the boiler aside, removing from heat.
7) Allow mixture to gel. It normally takes around 35-45 minutes to achieve optimal gelification into a solid.
8) Test with a wooden spoon. Once completely gelled, a spoon inserted should come out clean.
9) After jelled, break the curds into 1 inch chunks. Let the chunks set for 10 minutes until they separate from the curds.
10) Prepare a 9 inch cake pan with a wet cloth draped over it. Pour jelled mixture onto cloth; gather all corners and squeeze out as much whey as possible. Remove the cloth and firmly press mass into pan.
11) Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
12) Turn over halfway through until both sides get golden brown.
13) Cool on rack and let dry for around 2 hours.
14) Refrigerate overnight until chilled
Serve with rye bread, jam, and enjoy!
Recipe credit: https://finnishfoodgirl.com/2013/05/finnish-squeaky-cheese-recipe/