Foodie Fridays: Kiisseli
Published: January 11, 2019
Welcome back to another Foodie Friday! This week's recipe is Kiisseli - fruit soup! While there are many ways to make this treat and you can choose what fruit to use, this particular recipe uses strawberries.
4 cups strawberries
1 cup apple juice
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp corn starch
1/3 cup sweet freedom (agave nectar)
1. Remove the strawberry stems and place 2 cups of hulled strawberries into blender until a smooth purée is formed.
2. Pour the strawberry purée into a large saucepan. Mix in the apple juice, 1 cup of water, and agave nectar.
3. Heat saucepan and bring strawberry liquid to a boil. Stir occasionally with a whisk.
4. While the sauce is heating up, put the corn starch and 1/2 cup of water into a small measuring jug. Stir until corn starch has lost soild texture.
5. When the strawberry liquid comes to a boil, stir in the corn starch/water mixture slowly (stirring with a whisk). The kiisseli will start to thicken.
6. Simmer for 4 minutes and then take off the heat and set aside.
7. Chop the remaining strawberries into tiny pieces. Mix them into the kiisseli.
8. Taste test the kiisseli and add more sweetener (agave nectar) if needed.
9. Let the kiisseli cool to room temperature and then chill in refrigerator.
Enjoy your sweet treat! You can serve kiisseli on its own, with vanilla cream, or with rice pudding!