Foodie Friday: Merimiespata
Published: March 13, 2020
A hearty stew, just for you. This week's recipe is Merimiespata (sailor's stew).
- 3 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 24 oz canned beer
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place meat in a plastic bag with the flour. Toss to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Remove beef cubes from the bag, and shake off excess flour.
- Brown beef cubes on all sides, and remove to paper towels to drain.
- Place potatoes on the bottom of a 3 quart casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Place the beef cubes over the potatoes, then cover with carrots and mushrooms. Pour in the beer, beef broth, and soy sauce. Toss in the peppercorns.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours in the preheated oven, or until meat is very tender.