Foodie Friday: Lihapullat
Published: February 18, 2020
Today's recipe is lihapullat - Finnish meatballs. These pair well with porkkanalaatikko (get the recipe here).
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, cream, salt, and allspice.
- Roll into balls.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and evenly brown half the meatballs in the melted butter (5-7 minutes).
- Place browned meatballs on a plate, set aside, and repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Using the liquid left in the skillet, sift in the flour and cook until brown (2-3 minutes).
- Slowly add in milk and use a whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Add whipping cream into the mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Place all of the meatballs back in the skillet and stir to coat with the gravy.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the meatballs are cooked through, (15-20 minutes).