Foodie Friday: Laskiaispulla
Published: February 13, 2020
Happy Valentine's Day! We're spending the day whipping up some Laskiaispulla- get the recipe below.
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 cups flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar (as desired)
1) Using the microwave or the stovetop, warm milk until it is lukewarm.
2) Transfer milk into large bowl and add in yeast.
3) Set aside one of the two eggs for later. Beat one egg in small bowl.
4) Add beaten egg, sugar, cardamom and salt to the milk/yeast mixture.
5) Mix in butter and half of flour.
6) Knead in flour as needed until dough is soft and smooth (not entire amount of flour may be needed).
7) Leave bowl in a warm place covered with a dish towel until dough doubles in size (around 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
8) Roll dough onto flour-covered surface., kneading and “punching it down”.
9) Split dough into 20 pieces and roll them into golf-sized balls.
10) Place dough balls onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
11) Cover sheet with dish towel and let rise in a warm place for an additional 30 minutes.
12) Pre-heat oven to 225 °C
13) In a small bowl, beat remaining egg. Brush egg onto dough.
14) Bake for 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown).
15) Remove from oven and let cool.
16) Cut tops off buns (to form a “lid”). Using a spoon, scoop out a bit of bread.
17) Full with scoop of jam and top with whipped cream.
18) Put “lid” back on bun and top with powdered sugar.