Foodie Friday: Joulutorttu
Published: November 3, 2019
Christmas is right around the corner which means its time to whip up some Joulutorttu!
10 1/2 ounces (300 g) pitted prunes
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
8 oz ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups heavy cream whipped
1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature, preferably Cabot
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar for sprinkling, preferably Dixie Crystals
1) In a large bowl beat together butter and ricotta cheese. Add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
2) Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a ball and wrap each ball in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until firm.
3) Combine the flour and baking powder. Mix in the whipped heavy cream and then the softened butter.
4) On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until soft and smooth. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5) Preheat oven to 400. Line two baking sheets with parchment or lightly grease.
6) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick. Fold the dough into thirds by folding 1/3rd towards the center followed by the other side towards the center. Roll the dough out again, turn, and fold into thirds again along the other side to form the dough into a square. Roll out a final time to make a square about 1/4 inch thick.
7) Cut the sheet of dough into 3 inch squares and use a knife to make cuts from each corner about halfway towards the center. Place a dollop of jam in the center of the square.
8) Lift every other split corner towards the center over the jam filling and pinch together to create a pinwheel shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining squares.
9) In a small bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Brush the top of each Joulutorttu with the mixture.
10) Bake in preheated oven until golden, 7-10 minutes.
11) Cool and top with powdered sugar.